Healthy Eating for Older Adults- How to Get Started
HEALTHY EATING HABITS FOR OLDER ADULTS-HOW TO GET STARTED
Every year, millions of people make the resolution to start eating healthy. While some stick to it, most fall off the train after a few weeks. We want to help explain why this is. Research indicates that most people just do not know where to start. Switching from a not-so-healthy lifestyle to one full of greens and exercise can be daunting.
Cooking every meal at home, going to the gym several times a week, drinking less wine and more water are all massive adjustments. All of these new changes can make you want to just take a nap. Do not be afraid. Living a healthy lifestyle can be much easier than it sounds: the key is to take it step-by-step. Small changes taken daily make all the difference.
In the end, it will be all of these small changes compiled that result in a much bigger change: one of a much healthier you. Here are some easy tips to follow to get started on your healthy lifestyle journey:
- Pick up a reusable water bottle and try and see how many times you can keep refilling it throughout the day. Water is one of the most essential parts of a healthy lifestyle—and best of all, it is low cost.
- Make sure to get a vegetable in at every meal. Throw some spinach in your omelet, tomato, and microgreens in your sandwich at lunch and Brussels sprouts and broccoli with your salmon at dinner. Eventually, this will become something you do automatically, without any thought.
- Meal prep. Prepare big batches of proteins (fish, chicken, lean meats, beans, tofu, etc), veggies and healthy carbs on Sunday night so that it is easy to throw together meals throughout the week. Doing this will make it much easier to stick to your healthy-eating lifestyle, even when stressed and short on time. The less you have to think about it, the easier it will be.
- Be creative. With the Internet, it is so easy to find any recipe you can imagine. Furthermore, if you are craving something not so healthy, chances are you can find a healthier version online. Do not be intimidated by the sheer number of options out there. Feel free to try multiple different recipes to find the perfect one for you.
- Share your goals with your friends and family. Posting online about your new healthy journey will make yourself accountable to those you love, which will, in turn, make you want to stick to your goals. Plus, it always helps to have someone cheering you on. If you find a health buddy, the journey will be easier.
- Do not deprive yourself. Figure out what your cravings are and try and adapt them to your new lifestyle. If you are craving some chips, throw some kale in the oven with some garlic salt and enjoy some crunchy kale chips. If you are dying for some ice cream, blend a couple frozen bananas with cocoa powder and top with dark chocolate chips. It has all of the great taste with none of the guilt.
The key here is not to be overwhelmed. Remember that small changes will ultimately bring big results. Call us today and find out more about our new weight loss program. (305) 823-2433 today.
August 11, 2017 11:08 am
Categories: Weight Loss