Interesting Facts About Alcohol and Alcohol Consumption
Alcohol is one of the oldest beverages in the world. Billions of people enjoy at least one alcoholic drink per year. However, it can lead to serious consequences when abused, causing physical and mental health problems. Here are other interesting facts about alcohol and alcohol consumption in today’s post.
Fascinating Alcohol Facts
Did you know that the first mention of the word alcohol came in the 16th century? That’s how long the word and the drink have been around across the world. Below, you will find some fascinating alcohol facts that will make you scratch your head. Some of the facts might be familiar, as you likely learned them in a health class during high school, while others might seem a little obscure.
Alcohol Around the World
Alcohol is such a popular beverage choice and not just in the United States. Many countries have lower drinking ages than the United States, but still deal with the same alcohol consumption problems.
For example, more than 500,000 deaths are attributed to alcohol every year in Russia, while six Americans die daily due to alcohol poisoning. In Ireland, more than 500 people die each year due to cancer that can be tied to alcohol consumption. Across the globe, one person dies every 10 seconds because of alcohol.
Do you know what the most popular alcohol is in the world? That would be vodka. There are more than two billion people worldwide who consume alcohol.
Small traces of alcohol is found in almost every fruit and vegetable known to man.
Alcohol and the Body
Two areas of the body face serious consequences from alcohol consumption and they include depression of the central nervous system and the respiratory nervous system. Alcohol has a negative impact on the body even though many studies tend to show that one glass of wine per day can help with cognitive abilities.
The stomach is only able to absorb 20 percent of alcohol we consume. The remaining 80 percent of the alcohol is absorbed by the small intestine. It is immersed in the bloodstream as it cannot be digested by the body. Esophageal cancers are linked to alcohol consumption close to 75 percent of the time.
Conversely, alcohol can help people lower their risk of developing diabetes and even lower the risk of suffering from cardiovascular disease. These are two serious diseases that millions of people suffer from every year.
Do you have blue eyes? If so, you likely have a higher tolerance for alcohol than others.
As you might imagine, there are a lot of different statistics out there regarding alcohol consumption, alcohol-related diseases, and deaths caused by alcohol. Some of the most interesting alcohol statistics include:
- A 2015 survey by the National Survey on Drug Use and Health found that 86.4 percent of adults said they had at least one alcoholic beverage during their life.
- In the same survey, 70.1 percent of adults said they had a drink in the year prior.
- Fifty six percent of adults said they had a drink in the month prior.
- Approximately 13 percent of adults in the United States qualify for alcohol use disorder, which equates to one in eight adults
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that 88,424 individuals pass away yearly in the United States because of alcohol causes
- A teenager who starts to drink prior to the age of 15 has a higher likelihood of developing a dependency for alcohol later in their lives, according to alcohol abuse statistics
Worried About Your Loved One’s Alcohol Consumption? Call GMP Medical Today
Do you have concerns about the alcohol consumption levels of your loved one? If so, it’s time to contact the trusted team from GMP Medical. Call our office at (305) 823-2433 to schedule an appointment.
July 4, 2019 3:15 pm
Categories: Family Health